An emergent crop of beauty products has and is evolving beyond what we once knew as foundation and its CC and BB Cream cousin. I call it non makeup makeup.
This newer and growing category is foundation “makeup” that also behaves like skincare, moisturizer, and even sunscreen due to its texture and the many skin active ingredients in the formulation.
A few, from my experience, also even “treat” and ultimately improve the skin.
These products are especially good for mature skin as they can plump up the skin leaving makeup less likely to settle into fine lines. The result is a skin but better look.
They have relatively banal monikers: tinted moisturizer, tinted serum, skin tint foundation, and even tinted sunscreen. Don’t be fooled. At the end of the day, many of them last well on the skin without feeling unnatural or looking cakey.
While these products are beneficial for everyone, I believe they are particularly helpful if you:
- Feel very uncomfortable and uncertain about makeup and what to do with it
- Have not worn makeup for years
- Want your skin to feel comfortable although more even-toned and natural
- Want easy application
I am sharing a list of 6 of my current favorite foundation no makeup makeup products. They hit all of the marks above and are those that I routinely wear in my “rotation”.
6 Best No Makeup Makeup Foundations
Hourglass Veil Hydrating Skin Tint Foundation
IT! CC Cream Full Coverage Color Correcting Foundation
Tower 28 SunnyDays SPF 30 Tinted Sunscreen Foundation
Saie Slip Tint Dewy Tinted Moisturizer
Ilia Super Serum Skin Tint SPF 40 Foundation
Westman Atelier Vital Skincare Dewy Foundation Drops
Some Final Non Makeup Makeup Thoughts
I advocate for a skin-forward less-is-more makeup philosophy-particularly for more mature skin. Results are wonderful if a beauty routine spends 80% of time and money on skin and its care and the remaining 20% on makeup. See my post here on my take on the 80/20 rule.
This does not mean expensive laser treatments but rather consistent skincare with the right active ingredients. My posts on Agency skincare as well as Vitamin C and sunscreen are good examples of this.
That 80/20 philosophy meshes well with this type of non makeup makeup.
I am celebrating as we enter into this new world of blurred lines of skincare and makeup. We now have better more inclusive options. And, yes, for those you who have shied away from makeup, now may be the time to put the metaphorical “toe in the water”.
Let me know your thoughts and what you may have tried.